Happy New Year! I cannot believe another year has already gone by. I probably say that every year, but I still find it jarring how quickly time goes by. There were a lot of changes for me this year, but the biggest one was moving all the way to Los Angeles in September. I am still adjusting and finding my place here, but I have hope that however long I have left here in the city, will be good!
So, resolutions. I decided not to do so-called resolutions this year, but did come up with some goals. I find if I trick myself into renaming them ‘goals’ they are more attainable. I love the quote in the photo above, and that will definitely be my motto for this year. I hope my goals for 2017 inspire you to make some of your own. May 2017 be your best year yet!
My Goals for 2017
- Read 104 books
- It’s a big goal, but if I break it down to 2 books a week, it’s more manageable. It is an increase from my goal in 2016, and I think it’ll push and challenge me. What is your reading goal?
- I wanted to start volunteering in 2016, but time got away from me. This is a priority of mine for 2017. I am going to try to start with my local library, but also want to explore other opportunities. Let me know if you have any ideas!
- Join and attend an in-person book club
- I was so excited when I found a book club via Meetup.com. The first meeting I will attend is in January. I’m an introvert, so joining a new group where I don’t know anyone is definitely out of my comfort zone. Since moving to a new city, I haven’t met a lot of people, so I’m hoping joining a book club will help!
- Visit 6-12 museums
- There are so many great museums here in LA, and I want to take advantage of them while I am here. A few on my list include the LACMA, The Broad, The Getty, Skirball Cultural Center, as well as the Griffith Observatory.
- Write a letter once a week
- Stationery is a love of mine, and I don’t want letter writing to be forgotten. I want to do my part to keep handwriting alive! And who doesn’t like getting real snail mail in their mailbox?
- Meal plan —> eat more veggies!
- Cooking for one is both a blessing and a curse. You can fix what you like without worrying about others, but there’s always so much leftover if you use a recipe. My meals are usually last-minute and not well thought out. So a goal of mine is to meal plan, and try to cook for myself on a regular basis. And eat more vegetables!
- Find full-time work in desired field
- I originally came to LA to pursue a career in costuming. Whether I decide to continue that pursuit, or pursue a different career, I want to find full-time work this year.
- Get outside more!
- The weather in Southern California is so nice 95% of the time, and I want to take advantage of that. There are some great hiking areas here, parks, as well as the beach not too far.
- Drink more water!
- I’ve been pretty good about this, but I think I could do better. I need to be more conscious of how much water I am drinking. Goal is 64 ounces, which is about 4 refills of my water bottle.
- Own my decisions
- This is probably the biggest, and most challenging, of all my goals this year. As I’m sure many others do, I tend to not only compare myself to others, but worry about what others think of me. Even if those other people are strangers, or acquaintances I haven’t spoken to in years! It sounds so crazy when I say it (or write it) out loud. So this year, I am going to work on owning my choices. Big or small. Whether that choice is to sleep in, or go for a run; order a tea, or a mocha; work in costuming, or change my mind and pursue a different career. At the end of the day, I have to live with the choices I make. Not those strangers, or acquaintances, not even my friends or family members. It is going to be tough, and I know that sometimes I will fail; but it is important. In the end, I think it has the possibility to make a huge positive impact on my life.
So here’s to 2017! What are your goals for this year?